Product design, strategy and leadership for cross functional and creative teams.
Samsung Electronics America | Senior Manager of UX: 6/2016 – present
Experience design and creative direction for Samsung Plus — Samsung’s most popular mobile app in the US market.
- Design leadership: manage a UX team of 8, provide guidance for a 50 person team, negotiate contracts, maintain vendor relationships and
an annual budget of $800,000
- App overhaul: refocus Samsung S+ to provide world class customer care, increasing user base from 12 to 20m installs, 5 to 8m monthly active users and improving app rating from 3.7 to 4.2
- Innovate + adapt: work with executives in Seoul, Mountain View, New York and Seattle on strategy and execution for special projects such as response to the Note7 crisis, expert text chat and premium care
Etops AG | Head of Design: 1/2016 – 5/2016
Design definition for the company’s first cloud based SaaS product, a B2B Swiss investment banking platform for professional wealth managers. Founded in 2010, Etops has ~50 employees in three countries.
- Product roadmap: create the first detailed description of total features and functions
- MVP definition: prioritize according to business and user needs to define the initial release
- Branding: lead branding workshops to establish priorities and brand strategy → select and manage an agency for creative services
Mobiquity | Principal UX Architect: 9/2014 – 9/2015
Mentor and manage a creative team of 10 at a growing agency to design iOS and Android apps and responsive web applications. Founded in 2011, Mobiquity has ~450 employees and 12 offices in 4 countries.
- Process improvement: align creative methods across 15 teams introducing user centric, lean and collaborative methods including prototypes, concept design and usability testing
- Focus on delivery and satisfaction: consistently deliver projects on time and budget, gaining repeat engagements with 100% client satisfaction
- Client Lead and Project Manager: represent the company for client engagements and in outreach activities, identifying new opportunities, drafting statements of work, design estimation and resource allocation
NCC Group, Domain Services | Senior UX Designer: 10/2013 – 9/2014
Product designer at a B2B internet security startup. NCC Group Domain Services is a division of NCC Group, a leading global internet security company with the world’s largest workforce of “white hat” hackers.
- Agile design with engineers: lead planning meetings, create comps, write UI stories and ensure build matches spec
- User Centric Design: establish UCD process within an evolving startup culture, strategy and tools for capturing client insights
- Unified brand experience: work with Marketing, Sales, Legal and Security to define and advance the brand, creating a consistent multi-channel experience
Blue Shield of California | Senior Interaction Designer: 2011 – 2012
Creative lead for projects including home page redesign and patient reviews
- Information architecture: define structure and behavior of interactive systems
- Conceptual and behavioral prototypes: site maps and information flows, static and clickable wireframes and detailed specifications
- Direct offshore resources: including work assignments, prototyping and code review
YourCustomBlog.com | Founder and Creative Director: 2007 to 2013
Founder of a company providing boutique design and development services
- Creative direction: project management and hiring for teams of 5-15
- Business development: generate leads, close deals and maintain multi-year client relationships
- Expand and scale: design and develop 100+ custom themes, establishing #1 page rank for “WordPress Consultant”
Youth Service California | Manager of Online Marketing: 2006 – 2007
Youth Service California is a statewide non-profit organization dedicated to helping California youth transform themselves and their communities though service. During my time at YSCAL I pioneered the use of web 2.0 technologies and worked on design and marketing. Highlights include: logo redesign, site redesign using WordPress, e-commerce integration and design for print.
Performance Structures Inc | Machinist: 2006
Sky Mirror is a monumental public sculpture designed by Anish Kapoor that premiered at the Rockefeller Center in September of 2006. Measuring 35 feet in diameter and weighing 23 tons, Sky Mirror changes throughout the day and is an example of what Kapoor describes as a “non-object”: a sculpture that, despite its monumentality, suggests a window or void and seems to vanish into its surroundings. As part of a 12 person team, I learned about the precision, forces and tools needed to work with stainless steel.
Google Inc | Quality Rater: 2005 – 2006
Evaluate web pages based on proprietary Google rating system, combining advanced internet research skills with a comprehensive understanding of current trends in technology and culture. I evaluated hundreds of pages a day, gaining a solid understanding of web design, usability and SEO.
Oakland Artists Inc. | Director: 2002 – 2005
Founder of a nonprofit that brought together neighbors and virtual communities to launch sustainable development projects. My efforts created hundreds of jobs for artists, and fostered connections and dialogue between residents, artists, nonprofits and City government. I gained valuable experience in using internet technologies, design and marketing for community empowerment and in social enterprise.
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Sublime Text
- Pivotal Tracker
- Google Analytics
Technical Review for Practical UX Design by Packt Publishing (UK)
A foundational yet practical approach to UX that delivers more creative, collaborative, holistic, and mature design solutions, regardless of your background or experience. This book targets different aspects and pain points of UX design. The focus is on how to help readers improve website and web applications in a practical manner. It is targeted at UX designers, front end web and app developers who want to learn the art of UX design.
Co-author of WordPress and Flash Cookbook for Packt Publishing (UK)
This informative technical manual shortlists some of the most essential Flash plugins for creating dynamic and media-rich websites or blogs, as well as describes their implementation process in detail. Using Flash in WordPress for maximum SEO, creating your own .swf files, importing image feeds and using lightbox effects, amongst others, are well illustrated in the book. Also covered are embedding a Flash player, creating Flash animations and using ActionScript 3.0.
Bilingual (English/Spanish) – read, write and speak Spanish fluently.
UC Berkeley, Bachelor of Arts (and Masters work): Cultural Geography, 2000
UC Santa Cruz: American Studies,1997-1999
Bay Area Video Coalition FUSE Program: 256 hours of advanced media training, 2008-2009
Yoga Alliance: Registered Yoga Teacher, 2008-2009